So the lovely and talented Klinde tagged me for a pre-bed ritual meme. I have to list six weird things I do either getting ready to sleep or while sleeping. I’m not sure how weird these are, but what the hell?
1. I have to go to the bathroom and wash my hands before going to sleep. This is generally the last thing I do, too. I’m not sure why, but I can’t leave the house (or work) without making sure I’ve stopped by the bathroom. I guess 25 years of ‘make sure you pee before you leave the house, because we’re not stopping’ takes its toll on you.
2. I triple-check all my alarm clocks. I have three alarms that go off (first my real clock, 15 minutes later my TV, and 30 minutes later my phone) and I make sure they’re all set properly. I’m a heavy sleeper, as I tend to take a long time to actually get to sleep, so I always have trouble waking up. Wjich leads to my next point…
3. I tend to do things in my sleep. Sometimes I have conversations with people, sometimes I turn on the TV, and a lot of the time I get up and turn off my big alarm clock. Hence the two other alarms designed to make sure I wake up in a reasonable amount of time (which usually allows me to get to work only 5 minutes late).
4. I have to sleep on my stomach/extreme side with one arm under my head. I absolutely cannot get to sleep any other way without serious effort on my part to make myself sleep.
5. I have to have something covering me. From an electric blanket in winter to a light sheet in the spring, to a blanket again when the air conditioner is cranked up to nipple-hardeningly cold, I cannot be exposed to ‘the elements’, except for my feet. My feet can be covered or uncovered, depending on the ambient room temperature.
6. I have to know where my TV remote, cable remote, drink, and cell phone are before I can sleep. If for some reason I can’t find one of those things, I will not sleep until everything is accounted for, no matter how long that might take.